BackgroundLaparoendoscopic single-site (LESS) surgery is an emerging laparoscopic procedure previously used for cholecystectomy and appendectomy. However, few studies have examined LESS liver resection, and its benefits require investigation. This study aimed to evaluate the feasibility and safety of LESS liver resection.MethodsFrom December 2009 to October 2010, 12 patients were selected for LESS liver resection with institutional review board approval. The LESS technique was performed using a transumbilical TriPort or three 5-mm trocars with a 5-mm linear or flexible laparoscope. Conventional or articulating laparoscopic instruments were used to mobilize and transect the lesions.ResultsThe LESS liver resection procedure was successfully completed for 10 patients (83.3%), with the remaining 2 patients (16.7%) undergoing conversion to conventional multiport laparoscopy. The procedures consisted of left lateral segment resection (n = 4) and partial resection (n = 8) in addition to concomitant cholecystectomy (n = 3). The mean operative time was 80.4 min (range, 35–160 min), and the mean estimated blood loss was 45 ml (range, 20–800 min). No postoperative complications were noted except for biliary leakage (200 ml/day)in one patient. The mean hospital stay was 4.3 days (range, 2–8 days). No patient required postoperative analgesia, and the pain visual analog score 48 h after surgery was 0.53 (range, 0–2). Pathology identified 10 benign and 2 malignant liver tumors with a clear margin.ConclusionsOur preliminary data show that LESS liver resection is safe and feasible for selected patients, with potential benefits that include a fast recovery, light pain, and cosmetically acceptable scarring. However, this procedure requires advanced instruments and complicated laparoscopic techniques, with a risk of intraoperative bleeding and postoperative bile leakage.
Guodong Zhao, Minggen Hu, Rong Liu