Aayasha, A. H. Farooqui, Tausif S. Khan
Indian Journal of Unani Medicine
Sailan-ur-reham(Leucorrhoea) is a common gynaecological disorder. Almost 20% of the patients attending gynaecological clinics complain of vaginal discharge indicating some form of infection. In 90% of cases the inflammation is usually relatively mild and the remaining 10% are more serious. Married women are at greater risk to suffer from leucorrhoea as these women are exposed to sexual activity and frequent child bearing which may lead to vaginal infections like –cervicitis, cervical erosion and pelvic inflammatory disease causing leucorrhoea. In literature of Unani Medicine discharge from uterus, cervix and vagina other than blood are described under the heading of sailan-ur-reham. Hence sailan-ur-reham may be compared to leucorrhoea in modern system of medicine. In Unani system of medicine, the basic causes of disease are related with the concept of Akhlat (humour) as described by Buqrat, (Hippocrates 360-470 B.C.). According to the theory of akhlat veginal discharge can be Damvi (Sanguine), Balghami (Phlagmatic), Saudawi (Malencholic) and Safrawi(choleric) depending upon the dominance of akhlat.